Can Diabetic Retinopathy Be Reversed?
The reversal of blindness due to hypertension and diabetes with Dr. Kempner’s rice and fruit diet demonstrates the power of diet to exceed the benefits of the best modern medicine and surgery has to offer.
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org’s free newsletter at and receive recipes developed by the NF staff that will fuel your fitness goals.
I documented the extraordinary Kempner story previously in Kempner Rice Diet: Whipping Us Into Shape ( and Drugs and the Demise of the Rice Diet ( The reason I keep coming back to this is not to suggest people should go on such a diet (it is too extreme and potentially dangerous to do without strict medical supervision), but to show the power of dietary change to yield tremendous healing effects.
The best way to prevent diabetic blindness is to prevent or reverse the diabetes in the first place. See, for example:
• Lifestyle Medicine Is the Standard of Care for Prediabetes (
• How to Prevent Prediabetes from Turning into Diabetes (
• Plant-Based Diets and Diabetes (
Why wouldn’t a diet of white rice make diabetes worse? See If White Rice is Linked to Diabetes, What About China? (
For more on the nitty gritty on what is the actual cause of type 2 diabetes, see:
• What Causes Insulin Resistance? (
• The Spillover Effect Links Obesity to Diabetes (
• Lipotoxicity: How Saturated Fat Raises Blood Sugar (
• Diabetes as a Disease of Fat Toxicity (
• What Causes Diabetes? (
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at and he’ll try to answer it!
Image Credit: Community Eye Health via Flickr.