Herbal Medicines for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Herbal Medicines for CFS
Please seek professional, tailored advice from a qualified naturopath or herbalist before taking herbal medicines, to ensure the correct dosage and to avoid negative drug-herb interactions.
1. Astragalus membranaceus – Immunomodulator, chronic infections, adaptogen (helps the body adapt to stress, antioxidant
2. Chelidonium – Immunomodulator, antioxidant, antimicrobial, antiviral, hepatoprotective (protects the liver from damage)
3. Codonopsis pilosula – Convalescent (helps you recover and heal from illness), adaptogen, antiinflammatory, blood tonic, blood sugar regulator, great for exhaustion, long term illness and loss of appetite.
4. Echinacea angustifolia + Echinacea purpurea combination – Immunomodulator, antiinflammatory, lymphatic, blood cleanser, helps with detoxification and cellular repair.
5. Ginkgo biloba – antioxidant, circulatory stimulant therefore improves flow of oxygen and nutrients and removal of toxins, improves brain function, neuroprotective (protects brain/nervous system).
6. Korean ginseng (Panax ginseng) – Improves physical and mental performance especially under stress. Improves brain function and memory. Combines well with Ginkgo. Helps with fatigue, antioxidant, adaptogen, immune modulating, cognition enhancing, anticancer.
7. Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus) – Adaptogen, immunomodulator, improves mental and physical performance, can be combined with Korean ginseng.
8. St. John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum) – Antidepressant, antiviral, antiinflammatory, reduces anxiety. **CAUTION: St John’s wort upregulates liver function and therefore is not appropriate to combine with many pharmaceuticals. Seek professional advice before taking.
9. Turmeric (Curcuma longa) – Antiinflammatory, reduces muscle and joint pain rapidly, calms digestion, protects liver, powerful antioxidant, anticancer effect. Ensure you get a high quality extract, culinary use or cheap supplements are not as effective as bioavailable extracts (you usually get what you pay for with turmeric supplements).
10. Withania (aka Ashwaganda) – Adaptogen, helps you get through times of stress, supports nervous system, antiinflammatory, improves utilisation of iron, immunomodulator, convalescent, improves immunity and energy levels, repairs the liver, anticancer.
Most naturopaths will be able to mix up a tailored liquid formula for your needs using a combination of high quality herbal extracts.